Touring New Zealand's North Island by Campervan
Cape Reinga Lighthouse was the last manned lighthouse to be built in New Zealand. First lit in 1941, it replaced a light that had been built in 1879 on Motuopau Island,
seen in the photo above off the tip of Cape Maria van Diemen. The Cape Reinga Lighthouse, whose concrete tower is 10 meters high and 165 meters above the sea, was fully
automated in 1987.
Just out of sight to the left of this photo is the turbulent line where the blue Pacific Ocean meets the green Tasman Sea.